fonts: larger or smaller

This blog has moved to another location: http://blog.zaimbakar.com.
Please update any bookmarks.

Thank you.

4/04/2004 05:09:00 AM

MyKad is a scam

Read this: MyKad Revisited - it's time to really wake up, people. I have been thinking about this thing for quite some time. MyKad is a scam by the government, it is the ultimate 'Big Brother' supertool designed to invade your privacy. I don't want to sound 'paranoid' or 'deluded', but think about it.

MyKad will be the future. It will (eventually) hold every single information about someone, from medical history, to ATM access, and to his/her driver's license. It will replace Touch n Go and Fastrack, it will be used in tolls, and the LRT. People will pay their bills with MyKad.

What guarantee, that all of these 'institutions' of capitalism, that we will eventually sell our selves to through this little card, will not use our personal information for something else?

If, say, for some reason someone with 'access' wants to kill me, all he needs to do is check my travel records collected from the tolls and LRT stations where I regularly swap my MyKad and see that I usually commute via Putra LRT from KL Sentral to Masjid Jamek and then take the Star to Bukit Jalil from 9:00am to 12:00pm and then rig a bomb on one of those routes. Or he could see that I use my MyKad regulary to pay at this mamak restaraunt (yes, Mamaks in the future will be more modern and will at last replace Starbucks and Coffee Bean and all those stupid places with expensive water) and then poison my teh tarik and roti telur.

It could be that easy, who knows. I believe that us Malaysians need to question the security of this smartcard in a more regular basis. I haven't changed my old IC, I think the denda is RM50. Well so be it, I'd rather pay fifty ringgit than sell my rights to privacy.

Trackbacks - 0 trackbacks

Click here for trackbacks.